An appliance that is less than 25kW and burns wood.
For wood burner that are to be installed into home that have a land area of less than 2 hectares in lot size:
- An emission of less than 1.5 grams of particles per kilogram of dry wood burnt as measured in accordance with AS/NZS 4013:1999; and
- a thermal efficiency of not less than 65% as measured in accordance with AS/NZS 4012:1999.
What do I need to know?
- From 1 September 2005 the New Zealand design standard for wood burners applies to all units installed on properties less than 2 hectares in lot size.
- The standard applies only to wood burners. It does not apply to:
- open fires
- multi fuel burners (eg, coal)
- cooking stoves
- pellet burners.
- The standard does not ban wetbacks. It simply sets a minimum requirement for thermal efficiency.